Tuesday, April 13, 2010

CHALLENGE 01 : THE STEAMPUNK COWBOY


















Here's my take on the first weekly sketch: "The Steampunk Cowboy."

Personal Appreciation:

I'm liking how the horse came out. It's also been fun to test colors and to experiment with the effects of a cloudy exterior. What I do find upsetting, on the other hand, is how stale the overall piece is. Bad! I shouldn't have put everything in 100% profile like this. No matter how good the rendering on that horse is, it still doesn't look very tangible. This layout is almost hieroglyphic - I'm two thousand years behind! I'll make up for it tenfold on the next piece.

Challenge of the Week: Dynamism +++

PS: Constructive criticism is always appreciated. Really.

2 comments:

  1. First thing I remarked is that this piece, while imaginative, is flat. Try to avoid black for shadows, instead use warmer greens or even violet/red. As I have told Sarah, use as many reference as you can, horse riders don't stick so closely to the neck. To avoid "stiff-ness" in characters, don't shy away from curves, establish a line of force and work with it. I like your attention in including a background, but be careful, even if its flat... keep it straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big thanks, Filis. You always come through for critiques.

    ReplyDelete